What a day today! I can't believe it's still Friday! Had trouble getting up this morning... I haven't been sleeping too well. Had two classes and then ran back to the dorms to shower and change. At 2, I went to the subway station to meet a fellow Drexel student who is studying abroad in Hong Kong and visiting China for the weekend. We had planned to go for lunch, but he had contracted food poisoning the day before, so instead of going for hot pot as planned, we went to a different restaurant for lunch to get something lighter. Afterwards, we walked around campus for a while and I showed him around. The campus looked really nice today with all of the leaves changing. He got a few good pictures to use for his blog. As it got later, we went to my dorm so I could pick up the directions to get to the directions for the hotel and then got on the subway. The subway today was super crowded. It was so packed that I didn't even need to hold onto anything. I felt like a sardine. It took us a little time, but we finally managed to get to the hotel (which was thankfully right next to the subway stop) and I got to meet the study abroad director and the study abroad advisor for graduate students. They also had a Chinese woman with them who is working for a professor at Qinghua University and has a joint program with Drexel. They were all really interesting to talk to.
The two of them had picked out a restaurant in a hutong in the area, so we embarked on our journey to locate the restaurant. It was quite an excursion as we just had a small map that was hard to read. Thankfully we eventually found it and got to eat dinner. The food was amazing. They had picked the fare from a menu earlier so we didn't have to worry about ordering, but they didn't have any idea what we were eating. They said they just picked the mid price range selection. It was delicious nevertheless, so I'm happy with that. We got to talk a lot about the study abroad experiences and the work that they're doing around China and the world, solidifying Drexel's connections with other Universities and organizations. They said they have some information about co-oping abroad so they might be able to get me into contact with a few people for that.
As it got closer to 10pm, we decided it was time to head back. The 2 Drexel women headed back to their hotel and I grabbed a cab with the Chinese woman and Rich. We had the cab drop Rich off at his hostel and then Jane and I rode the cab back to Beida. I had a nice talk with her on the way back. She says my Chinese pronunciation is very good. I can never tell when people compliment me if they're being sincere or not. I'll probably never find out haha! It feels nice to be home. I'm definitely tired after today and this week. Hoping to get some good sleep tonight and then heading to the 798 art district with my tutor tomorrow. A little sad that I didn't get to go to dancing class today, but I guess there's always next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment