Wednesday, November 14, 2012
I love Wednesdays because I get to sleep in. Really love it. Did some computer work this morning before running off to class. After class, I grabbed some quick lunch and then met my tutor outside the South East Gate since today is our field trip to the 798 art district. Chelsea came too and she brought along one of her language partners, Loomis. He was a really chill person and easy to talk to. We were talking for most of the bus ride to the art district. I really love all the strange looks I get from people while I'm going around Beijing and speaking Chinese. They just have this incredulous look on their faces. It took a while, but we finally got to the art district and walked around for a while. It looks like some sort of art festival recently ended, so a lot of the places were in between changing exhibits or had construction going on. So we walked around for a while and looked at a lot of the stuff that they had. We really didn't get to walk in and look at many galleries or stores, which I was fine with. I was just happy to walk around. I got some really cool pictures. There were about 3 couples here running around taking wedding pictures, which was pretty cute, although they looked freezing haha. It was a little on the chilly side today, but sunny so it was comfortable. Chelsea made friends with a cat and kept playing with it...it was adorable. After walking around for a while, we decided to head back to Beida and get some dinner. Our Chinese friend took us to a hot pot restaurant outside the South Gate that was pretty tasty. Also if you use your phone to take a picture of the food and post it online they give you like 20% off of your bill. So cool! The food was delicious. Although he was trying to convince me to get some kind of hot pot that contained pigs feet. I passed on that one and got a sweet and sour soup instead. Still tasty. And the restaurant had my favorite dish - jin yin man tou! Definitely a good restaurant...and it wasn't that expensive. Our Chinese friend's roommate also came to join us. I guess both of them are language partners with Chelsea. We had a fun meal together talking in Chinese and a little English. Our tutor doesnt really speak much English, so we didn't want to be rude and tried to speak as much Chinese as possible. After the meal, they insisted that I show them a few magic tricks. I loved the look on their faces when I did magic for them. They were intrigued. After dinner Chelsea and I returned to the dorms. I happened to get a phone call from another Chinese friend who wanted to meet up tonight. Chelsea was tired, so she decided to stay in the dorms. I biked over to Wudaokou to meet up with Haibo and exchange stories. He wanted to tell me about his trip to Shanxi last week and just catch up a bit since both of us have been busy. He said he can tell that my Chinese has improved a lot since the last time we had time to chat. I ended up ordering a cup of coffee, which seemed like a good idea at the time. We sat and talked for a few hours, just chatting and talking about school and finding work and sharing pictures. I think this is the best way to learn a language. It started getting late, so we both headed back to campus. The coffee was definitely a bad idea. I'm so hyper now that I have no idea how I'm going to sleep any time soon. Haha I have to remember that for next time....coffee at night is a bad idea. At least now I have the energy to catch up on a few things...like my blog...before heading to sleep. At least I only have a few classes tomorrow, so it shouldn't be too bad if I'm not able to sleep a lot tonight. Haibo asked me to be a language partner with him, so I'm looking forward to that. He's a really easy person to talk to, so I think he will be a good language partner for me. Well that's all for now! I have to finish up a few things and then try to get some sleep hahaha!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment