Tuesday, September 4, 2012
Survived my second day in Beijing! After an early breakfast at a dumpling restaurant the group headed to Tian'anmen square. I got to take a lot of pictures. Didnt' have time to go into the Forbidden City, so I'm hoping I can find time to go back there one day and take a look. Got there just in time to see the Mausoleum of Chairman Mao before it closed for the afternoon. After Tian'anmen square, took a short bus ride to a restaurant to eat 北京烤鸭(Beijing Duck). It was soooooo good!. I could not stop eating the food at the restaurant. The teachers ordered so much! I think there were at least 10-12 different dishes for all of us to try. The food just kept coming and coming and coming. I ate sooooooo much food. I was cleaning off plates left and right. After lunch, the group headed back to campus to have a campus tour. I found the tour to be very frustrating. I thought the tutor was giving the orientation/tour in Chinese so we could all practice....but it turns out they just didn't speak English. So they were trying to convey important info about how to add money to our student IDs or how to pay for internet for the rest of the stay, pointing out buildings to us....and I had almost no clue what they were saying. Very frustrating experience. I've still been unsuccessful in my search for a cell phone. Too frustrated after the tour to go around shopping for one, so I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow if I have time. This week is packed with tons of orientation seminars and field trips and other stuff to do. It feels so nice to finally be able to sit down after such a long day. I got to meet more people from my program today since everyone went as a group to Tian'anmen. Got some pretty neat people in the program with me :) Found a have a few fellow gamers and martial arts enthusiasts, so we're probably going to take a look around the university and see if there are any clubs to join so we can have a change to mingle with some of the chinese students and practice language skills while doing something we enjoy. Looking at another long day tomorrow and then a night of cramming for the placement exam. While today may have been frustrating, I can definitely see that my Chinese skills are improving already so I guess that's a plus!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The food you posted looked really good. Im jealous of the selection! What type of martial arts is everyone into in your group?
ReplyDelete