Sunday, October 28, 2012

Relaxing day. Woke up early to double check the art district trip was canceled and then went back to sleep for a few hours. Woke up around 10 and then went to Bridge Cafe in Wudaokou to get breakfast. We stopped to check out a super market on the way since I was craving some 小吃(small snacks). Stayed at Bridge Cafe to study for a few hours, but ultimately the Internet started sucking, so headed back to BeiDa to check out the culture festival. The American booth was sadly pathetic. I was kind of embarrassed. They had face painting for an activity in light of Halloween. To decorate the booth, they pretty much just colored pages from a coloring book and hung them up. I wish people would have contacted me and my classmates to do something for the booth. I would have definitely been up for helping out with the booth.

Talked to some interesting Japanese and Australian people. My shoulder started hurting so I ran back to the dorms to drop off my backpack and then came back to the festival. Apparently while I was gone, someone started playing Gangnam Style, so a whole crowd of people jumped up on the stage and started doing the dance, but midway through the dance the stage collapsed under all of the people. So by the time I made it back to the festival, they were starting the clean up and closed the festival early. A few people stopped me to take pictures with me and this one interesting guy came over to talk to Chelsea and me. He said he was a tour guide that takes Chinese people to other countries so he was looking to make contacts with people from all over the world so he can get to learn new places and expand where he can take people on tours. He gave us a really good information packet about foreigners living in Beijing and his business card. He said in return for answering any questions he has, he can connect us with people who are looking for English tutors and language partners. I think that's a pretty fair trade off. I actually want to find some tutoring work since the going rate in China for English tutors is 100-150 kuai an hour (16-25 USD). Not a bad salary at all. I think I might also try putting up flyers around Beida to see if I can find some students to tutor.

I was supposed to meet up with a person I met the other day, but after an hour they didn't answer my message or pick up their phone, so I headed back to the dorms. I'm still feeling a little under the weather. The sore throat seems to be turning into a head cold despite all of the vitamin C I've been devouring for the past few days. Melissa and I went to one of my favorite restaurants outside the Southwest gate and got soup. I got a shredded tofu and noodle soup that was pretty good. We decided during our whole outing to only speak Chinese. I'm so glad that she agreed with me! So many of my classmates aren't up for that. After dinner we grabbed some hong kong waffles and then headed back to the dorms. I started working on my presentation for my kouyu class on Tuesday. I made some pretty good headway, but I stil have a headache, so focusing was tough. I decided to stay in the dorms tonight so I can get a good night sleep and then return to my homestay tomorrow. I just wasnt up for biking all the way back to my homestay. I've been on my bike a lot this weekend, my legs are pretty sore! I don't like having a bike that only has one gear! Though the seat on the back is so cool! I wish we had them in America!

Well that's all for now. I'm starting to fall asleep, so it's bed time for me. Thankfuly I only have one class tomorrow, so I'm hoping I can rest up and fight off this discomfort before it turns into a headcold. I mentioned to a few of my Chinese friends that I'm feeling under the weather and they're ready to stuff me full of all these Chinese herbs and medicinal remedies haha. It's quite interesting. I might give some of the remedies a try! All in all, not to great of a weekend. I feel like it was a wasted weekend. Oh well, I'll just have to make up for it some other time. I still have so much that I want to see and do in Beijing. Teh leaves are changing so I realy want to go to some of the parks and take pictures of the tress before all of the leaves are gone. I want to explore Beida's campus too!

No comments:

Post a Comment